Tuesday, May 25, 2010

FOTR

I have found out about a really neat phenomenon going on :) It is called full-time RVing with families, or families on the road ~ FOTR. Families of all shapes and sizes and numbers are loading into whatever type of Recreational Vehicle fits their lifestyle needs and budget, and are hitting the road. Most of these families sell their 'stick' home, if they owned one, and move completely into these RVs. They sell, give away, or store what doesn't fit and/or what they deem unnecessary to the current adventure. Then they go exploring. I am jealous! The more I read about this, the more I want to do it. If I could figure out a way to make money on the road while still being able to take care of my kids we would be out the door. The kids and I have even been going to places that sell RVs and looking inside them to see if we could fit :) We have determined that we could actually fit in quite a small one just so we could have this experience.
I have not traveled very much in my lifetime. I have only been in a handful of states, all right here in the southeast US. So I would love to just go and explore everywhere. I also think that it would be a great opportunity for my kids. There are so many historical places to be seen across the country, as well as interesting, not well-known places to find out about. So for now, this is my dream. I want to take the kids and hit the road. I would like to wake up someplace new and be able to go out and explore and see what we can see, but still be able to be 'home' at the end of the day. Also, my family is somewhat spread out so would be nice to be able to visit without worrying about where we will sleep...
Now, I just have to figure out how to afford getting an RV that will house us and be safe on a very limited income. That seems to be the hard part right now, along with waiting. I am one of those people that make up their mind about something, then want it yesterday :)

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you !!! What an adventure you will be able to give your children. We just turned in our 1991 Class C that would have been great ... only 65,000 miles. It sold for about 9-10,000. Just to give you an idea of price range. If you have any questions I may be able to help with, please, feel free to ask. Good luck to you in this new venture and chapter in your life. We are 2.5 months away from departure and very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I am sure I will have questions, right now have been reading everything I can come across and dreaming (a LOT!). I am looking forward to finding something and getting started. Good luck to you as well in wrapping up these last 2 months before your journey, can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete